Sunday, July 22, 2012

Living the Dream... Dreaming of Home

Living the Dream... Dreaming of Home

 Todd and I are really starting to feel the homesickness.
We're counting down the days until we get to be near our friends, 
and especially our family
It seems like every day we mention something
about how much we can't wait to be home.
Until then, however, we just have to keep trying to distract ourselves
 with work and the great outdoors.

Friday was a beautiful day, it was sunny and 70 degrees.
Todd and I both got off work early, so naturally it was
adventure time.
We rode our little scooter out to the hatchery,
and walked down to a creek right outside of it. 
In this creek, there are thousands of salmon swimming for their lives!
And these salmon aren't just your average sized salmon,
these salmon were all at least 3 feet long,
and super FAT!
So Todd and I hop in the creek to catch ourselves some salmon
with our bare hands!
The water was FREEZING, but it was worth the pain.
Since there were so many of these fish,
and they were weak and dying,
they were pretty easy to catch.
We just caught enough to each get
quite a few pictures and video.
There were also tons of Eagles and other sorts of birds
out there feeding on the fishies.
I tried for a while to get pictures of the eagles,
but they were still really far away.

Look how many there are!!

Wooo!
I hope you all have seen the Little Caesar's commercial,
 because that's what this (above) reminds me of.


Birds are doing some fishing too. Also, there are eagles in the background.
This one was struggling for life.
 A few videos that are my favorite...




The first fish that I caught, I freaked out and screamed long enough for Todd to take one picture. But this one wasn't squirming so much. I was pretty proud of how well I held my composure.



This last video is my favorite.
This is the fishy (the one of the pictures above)
that was struggling for life.
Todd picked him up to try to get him to deeper water,
 and ends up just throwing him on the ground.
He says the fish just slipped,
but if you watch closely,
 he clearly just let go of him and let him fall on his head.
 SUPER funny.







So, yesterday was my birthday and it was GREAT!
We started off the day with zip lining,
I don't know how else to describe it except by saying
it was a BLAST!!
Todd and I agree that it was our favorite tour that we've done up here,
even better than the helicopter tours!
Helicopters come in second place though.



After zip lining we went home, cleaned up,
just relaxed for a bit, and then went to the
 new batman movie which was amazing!
Totally dark and creepy just like people said,
but it was pretty epic, especially at the end of it.


After the movie, I was craving teriyaki,
so we went here for dinner:
And it is officially our new favorite place to eat in Juneau.
Going out to eat here is crazy expensive
but this place was surprisingly affordable,
and surprisingly delicious!

Then, after dinner, we quickly got changed 
and went rock climbing at the Rock Dump!
It's Juneau's only rock climbing gym, 
but it is a ton of fun.
The only unfortunate part of the evening 
was that the people working at the Rock Dump 
were playing icky rap music that swore every other word.
Todd asked them if they had any other music, 
so they graciously played classical music for the rest of the time we were there.
We still preferred it to the filth they had been playing.

Also, Todd spoiled me with the most amazing presents.
He was so cute with the first one, 
because he was so embarrassed and worried I wouldn't like it.
He almost wouldn't give it to me, 
but reluctantly handed me the most beautiful pair of earrings.
He kept telling me I could exchange them if I didn't like them,
but I love them. He did very well :)
The best part is, how he went out,
on the day he was deathly ill,
and tried so hard to find something I would like.
He is so adorable.

On top of that, he got me a pair of tennis shoes!
And not just any old pair of shoes,
a pair of Nike Free Runner shoes :)
My other tennies got all muddy from camping,
and are ripping and smelly,
so Todd knew that I was wanting some new ones.
These are the shoes :)
To top it all off, Toddy Boy made me a delicious chocolate cake.
He made it, and decorated it himself,
and might I say,
he did a mighty fine job :)
It was even more delicious than it looks,
and I'm pretty sure I'm going to gain a few pounds
 by eating all of it.

So basically, it was the best birthday ever,
and that's because I had an amazing husband to spend it with.
He makes me feel like a queen,
and not just on my birthday,
but every single day.

It was also so great to hear from
 all of our friends and family yesterday, 
and made us even more homesick.
As much as we keep trying to keep busy,
we can't help but feel a little empty 
because none of you are here with us.
Almost about 6 weeks though, and we're outta here!

No comments:

Post a Comment